Over the last few decades, sports betting has grown to become one of the largest gambling industries in the world. Many around the world find betting on sports to be an unmatched, exhilarating gambling experience. The activity combines the excitement gathered from watching a live competitive sports game with that gathered from making wagers.
It is widely known that sport and gambling are two very important components of Australian culture. Thus, it isn’t all that surprising that many Aussies do seek to place sports bets online. To ensure that all of our players have the best possible online betting experiences, here are the best sports betting sites available to Australians. A general guide to sports betting has also been provided.
Best Australian Online Sports Betting Sites
How to Find the Best Sports Betting Websites Australia
There are few factors that always need to be kept in mind when looking to find the best online sports betting sites. These factors include the following:
- Safety and Security – Before placing your first bet, you need to make sure that the online sports betting website you have decided to use is safe to use. A few minutes spent researching a site could prevent you from having your information stolen. It is also important to make sure that you use legal sports betting sites to ensure that you are actually able to keep your winnings.
- Online Sports Betting Reviews – A sports betting review often reveals vital information regarding the site you may like to use, such as payout times and previous user experience.
- Mobile Capabilities – Aussies who are always on the move would best benefit from sports betting websites that are mobile friendly. A mobile sports betting website allows its users to make bets wherever they are.
- Sports Betting Bonuses – Many of the best betting sites offer users sign-up bonuses and other related promotions, giving users extra money to spend. To make the best of your online gambling experience, always be sure to pay attention to the bonuses available at each online casino.
Beginner Sports Betting Tips and Tricks
Despite what some may have you believe, no sports betting strategy is guaranteed to ensure you keep making winning bets. There are, however, some strategies (or tips and tricks rather) that may help Aussies make more informed bets. Some of these include:
- Researching. Nobody should ever place sports bets before researching the current happenings within the sport. Paying close attention to trends and stats will help you make more educated bets.
- Making Moneyline Bets. Moneyline bets are the simplest possible sports bet. It refers to making a bet based solely on which team or person you believe is going to be the victor. Without adding extra stipulations to the wager, it is easier to place a winning bet.
- Proper Bankroll Management. Australian online gamblers should never bet money that they do not have. Responsible gamblers canaccept losses and do not keep playing in an attempt to make up for these losses.
Sports Betting Odds Explained
The most commonly used sports betting odds system is that of decimal odds. The decimal format allows players to easily calculate the potential return on a particular wager (including the amount bet) with the following formula:
Odds x Stake = Winnings
It is important to note that some online casinos choose to make use of American odds rather than decimal-style odds. Although it is unlikely that Aussies would need to understand how American odds work, it may still be beneficial for online gamblers to know.
As American betting lines may start with either positive or negative signs, there are two ways of calculating American odds. Both allow players to calculate their potential winnings on a bet. These two formulae are:
- Positive American odds – Odds x (Stake/100) = Winnings
- Negative American odds – (100/Odds) x Stake = Winnings
Popular Australian Online Sports Betting Options
Although there are a number of different sports Australians like to place bets on each year, the following have proven to be the most popular options among frequent sports bettors.
Australian Rules Football
Australians Rules Football (often referred to as footy) is a sport similar in-style to both American football and rugby; but, is played on an oval-shaped field. The game was first played in 1858 and is considered to be one of the top three most popular sports in Australia, with average attendance figures rivalling those of the most renown sporting leagues in the world.
Aussies can bet on the best Australian Football League matches through any of our trusted sports betting affiliates.
Many believe that rugby football as we know it today first originated in 1823 after William Webb Ellis picked up a football and ran with it. Historians, however, regard this idea as a sports myth and have suggested that the game was played at Rugby School in England for about two-hundred years before the rules were even written down.
Regardless of rugby football’s origins, the game has grown to become a popularly played sport in many European and former Commonwealth nations, including Australia. There are various local and international leagues that Aussies can place real money wagers on; these include:
- Super Rugby Championship
- National Rugby Championship
- European Rugby Champions Cup
- Six Nations Championship
- The Rugby Championship
Soccer, commonly known as Football in Europe, is the most popular sport in the world. The game’s history can be traced all the way back to an Ancient Chinese game called “Cuju”. However, a more familiar version of football was first codified in 1848 at Cambridge University, England. Throughout the 19th century, further amendments were made to the game’s rules by different English organisations, ultimately resulting in football as we know it today.
As it is the world’s most popular sport, Aussies sports bettors are spoilt for choice when it comes to finding an exhilarating soccer match to place a wager on. Some of the most-watched soccer league competitions include:
- English Premier League
- Spanish La Liga
- German Bundesliga
- UEFA Champion’s League
- FIFA World Cup
Although the cricket’s origins are currently unknown, it has been suggested that the game can be traced back to a 16th-century English children’s game. However, it was throughout the 18th and 19th centuries that the game’s popularity took off, with the sport growing to become largely considered England’s national sport.
With Britain’s colonial expansion during the 19th century, the game was exported to colonial nations. Today, the sport is an accepted pastime in countries such as Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa.
As Cricket is well-known to be one of the most popularly enjoyed sports in Australia even being considered the nation’s national sport, it seems likely that many Aussies wish to place wagers on matches every now and again. Cricket competitions that are favoured by Australian sports bettors include:
- The Ashes
- Indian Premier League
- Big Bash League (Twenty20 cricket competition)
Horse racing is considered to be one of the oldest sports still played today. The sport’s simple aim is to see which horse is able to cover a short distance quickest. Despite the sport’s age, horse racing remains a popular competition throughout the world, with the different regions even developing their variations to make the contest more exciting.
When most Aussies think about horse racing, the idea of gambling also naturally comes to mind. With horse racing being so intrinsically related to gambling, it is unsurprising that there are so many local and international horse racing competitions for Aussies to bet on. For the best selection of races, we recommend signing up at any one of the Aus sports betting online casinos found on Casino-Aus.
Online Sports Betting Australia FAQ
Which are the top sports betting sites?
The best sports betting casinos are those which are trustworthy, have reasonable payout times and offer Australians a wide variety of betting options. For the best online sports betting experience, we recommend using any one of our affiliate sites.
How do I place a sports bet?
Placing a sports bet is a very easy process. All Australians need to do is find a sports betting casino and then pick the sport they would like to place a bet on. Depending on the sport, possible bets include:
- Overall Score
- Half-Time Score
- Scoring Player
Which sports do Australians tend to bet on the most?
Australians bet on a number of different sports, but some of the most popular options have proven to be:
- Australian Rules Football
Is sports betting legal?
It is legal for Australians to place bets on sports as long as they make use of licensed Australian betting sites.
Is sports betting rigged?
While there have been instances in which sports games have been rigged to ensure profitable gains for certain parties, there is no possible way for an Aussie to tell whether a particular game they have bet on has been fixed when they make it.
However, with this said, it is highly unlikely that all sports matches Aussies bet on are fixed. Foul play within the sports industry is also often uncovered, dissuading many from attempting to influence matches. Thus, those interested in making sports online bets should not be discouraged from doing so.
Is sports-related gambling popular in Australia?
As sports and gambling are two very popular Australian pastimes, it makes sense that sports betting would be a very popular form of gambling in Australia.